Paul G. Duke Foundation
Please note that the application process and deadlines reflect a two-stage Letter of Intent (LOI) process. See table below for the Letter of Intent deadlines and other important dates. (Deadlines have changed for 2020.)
Organizations that provide services primarily in the Miami County area that are aligned with the foundation’s mission and grantmaking focus are encouraged to submit a Letter of Intent (LOI). The LOI application will be available approximately one month ahead of the deadlines identified below.
To be a catalyst to enhance the quality of life in the Miami County area.
Programs benefiting children, young adults, and families primarily in the Miami County area in the categories of:
- Social Services
- Urban Affairs
Letters of Intent that have the following characteristics are considered more likely to be invited to submit a full proposal for consideration:
- Yield substantial benefits to the community
- Are innovative in their approach to community improvement
- Address current and critical needs
- Support program expansion to meet growing community needs
- Promote cooperation among agencies
- Encourage matching gifts or additional funding from other donors
- Requests should generally be limited to a one year period
Generally, grants are not made for religious purposes, budget deficits, staff positions, or projects that are normally the responsibility of a public agency.
Grant Application Instructions
1. Stage 1: Submission of a Letter of Intent (LOI)*
- Organizations seeking support for school-year programs are encouraged to apply on the Spring deadline.
- Organizations seeking support for summer programs are encouraged to apply on the Fall deadline.
- The LOI requests basic information about your organization and project.
- Only those LOI that best fit the Duke Foundation’s grantmaking focus and are strongly competitive with other LOI submitted at the deadline will be invited to submit a full proposal.
2. Stage 2: Submission of a Full Application
- Submission of a Full Application is by invitation only.
- Organizations that are invited to submit a full application are notified via email and provided a link to the online Full Application.
- The Full Application requests detailed budget information for the project and organization.
|Spring 2020 Application Cycle||Fall Application Cycle|
|Letter of Intent Application Available||January||July|
|Letter of Intent Deadline||February 1||August 1|
|Notification emails are sent to applicants not moving to full proposal stage||End of February||End of August|
|Notification emails are sent to applicants invited to submit a full proposal||End of February||
End of August
|Full Application Deadline||Included in email||
Included in email
|Board Decisions Announced||By mid-May||End of October|
Examples of Past Grants
- Edison Foundation: to support the Nonprofit Catalyst Project.
- First United Church of Christ: to support the Backpack program.
- Troy Lions Charities: to support the Sight Conservation Program in Miami County.
- Troy Recreation Association: to support the Summer Lunch Buddies program.
To see additional examples of the Duke Foundation’s recent grants, please view past press releases.
All grantees must complete a Final Report. Final reports are generally due 30 days following the project grant period; the exact deadline is included in your grant agreement. Please note that a progress report will be requested if a grantee applies for a new grant from the Paul G. Duke Foundation before an existing grant’s final report deadline.
Publicity for Approved Grants
The Paul G. Duke Foundation asks all nonprofit organizations receiving funding to help promote the vital role philanthropy plays in strengthening our community, and the importance of charitable giving to your organization’s effort to carry out its mission. The foundation’s logo is available in the Supporting Foundations section in the Toolkit.
If you have questions or are experiencing technical problems with your grant application, please contact the Paul G. Duke Foundation at 937/339-3853 or by email.